Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
197 Doctors are Online

Heavy and painful periods, diagnosed with bulky uterus and endometriosis. Suggested to take pill for 6 months. Right treatment?

Hi, I am 42 and have been told that I have a bulky uterus and adenmyosis ( not sure of spelling ) was told this is the reason for heavy, painful periods with blood clots which gets worse every month and has affected every aspect of my life as a single mom working. I have also been told that I have myofacial pain so a hysterectomy is not an option for me because of the increase of possible pain afterwards. I have been told to go on the pill continuously for six months to stop my periods and if that does not work to fork out over $300 for mirena . Is this correct??
Asked On : Mon, 31 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  55
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
OBGYN 's  Response

Many clinical studies shows- for women with more extensive disease whose quality of life and health are threatened by heavy bleeding and pain, and for whom hormonal interventions fail, the best treatment until now has been hysterectomy.

Now a new study shows that Mirena may be just as effective as hysterectomy in treating adenomyosis.

So in your case, Hormonal treatment with levonorgesterone IUCD (mirena) would be ideal.

Hope this helps.

Dr Nilofer

Answered: Thu, 17 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor