Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Having sore soft palate, cannot taste anything in that area. Face looks swollen. Different type of cold?

I have had sore soft palate for the last 5 days. I can t taste anything in this area.The pain goes down into my throat . Tea with lemon and honey and/or chicken noodle soup gives me temporary relief, so does ibuprofen . I don t have any fever. It feels like my face (from my eyes down)is swollen, but it isn t. Would you say these symptoms sound like different type of cold? Thanks for your answer.
Asked On : Tue, 18 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  66
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Aug 2013
hello and welcome to HCM,

After any infection of the respiratory tract you may have a change of taste in way that you may feel numb which may be due to the infection or the medication which you might have been taking.

You need to wait for one to two weeks for the taste to recover and in the meanwhile do the following:
1. Avoid spicy/ oily and high flavored diet
2. Start on anti reflux measures in consultation with your doctor and also anti reflux medication
3. Have a nutritious diet with lots of green leafy vegetables and may add a vitamin supplement for faster recovery

If your symptoms do not improve then you may need to see your ENT consultant who may advice an endoscope for proper treatment

take care and get well soon

Dr Sriram Nathan
Answered: Fri, 30 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor