Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

Having severe problems passing stool, colon and rectum removed j-pouch. Advised Illiostomy. Shall I sign the form which says I cannot ask for reversal ?

having severe problems passing stool, colon and rectum removed j-pouch. dr. is at Cleveland clinic colo rectal,but will not work with me on this. seen him two weeks ago said he'd put on and illiostomy, but first I need to sign a form saying I won't ask to have the illiostomy reversed.i've been going to him since 1990,i either sign the form or continue to suffer with bowel issues. what do you think. I still have j-pouch
Asked On : Fri, 12 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  69
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
General Surgeon 's  Response

Thank you for the query.

The main problem with ileostomy is that the stool is very watery. And it makes really hard to keep hydrating property. So you need to be aware that people with ileostomy sometimes die because of dehydration and ions disturbances.
J-pouch after some time acts like a large intestine so the life comfort can be similar to this before the surgery.
Dont know what exactly you do suffer from. If it is only constipation, you should try with diet change. If you do suffer from partial bowels obstruction and have abdominal cramps and stool blockages, ileostomy might be your chance to get better.
Maybe you should try another opinion from another surgeon.

Hope this will help.
Answered: Sat, 13 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor