Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

Having running nose, clear water. Using nasal sprays and allergic tablets. What should I do?

my nose is constantly running..its not blocked just running a clear water like substance. This has being going on the last year..i never suffered with it before. i went to my gp and got nasal sprays and allergy tablets but they made no difference. i am currently waiting to see the ENT specialist and am waiting to hear back from an alleary test i had done. I have never suffered from hayfever or had any other reactions before.
Asked On : Wed, 27 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  38
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Thanks for writing to H.C.M. about your query.
As you said you are having running nose like clear water for about one year. You have taken anti allergic spray and tablets but no positive response you got.
Considering your problems and no response to treatment you have taken indicates that we should think about other possibility of watery discharge from nose i.e. C.S.F.Rhinorrhea. Therefore you are advice for these investigations-
(1) C.T. scan paranasal sinuses.
(2) Cytological and biochemical examination of watery nasal discharge.
(3) Culture and sensitivity of nasal discharge.
(4) Skin test for allergy.
In this way one can differentiate weather you are having allergic rhinitis or C.S.F.Rhinorrhea. After confirmation both have their specific protocol for management and they will be followed accordingly.

With Regards.
Answered: Thu, 28 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor