Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Have pain in arm . Unable to sleep. Suggestions?

Doctor, I got this pain in my upper arm I can feel it with my hand when I tuch my muscel its during the day but when I go to sleep then I cant of the pain and when the pain start then my arm go numb and the tickling of needles in my hand. It is very painfull for the past three months Can you please help me. John markus
Asked On : Tue, 19 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  52
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello, thanks for using HCM.
Pains in the arm can be very discomforting especially as we get to use our arms more frequently. The upper arm is rich in important structures such as nerves, blood vessels, muscles and the shoulder joint. Each of these structures could be at the origin of your pains. However, from your description, it is more likely to be a pain involving the nerves at the level of the upper arm. This could be due to a herniated vertebral disc or a peripheral neuropathy or inflammation of the nerve path or a metabolic disease such as diabetes or repeated trauma of the upper arm etc.

Other possible diagnosis include;a strained on muscle which could result from over stretching the muscles such as in weight lifting, thoracic outlet syndrome which presents with arm pain and discoloration, rotator cuff injuries etc.

Effective management of your pain will require an appropriate diagnosis and as such it is necessary to visit a doctor for an appropriate examination, diagnosis and an eventual treatment.

Best regards and hope this helps.
Answered: Tue, 19 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

General & Family Physician Dr. Nupur K's  Response

Welcome to HCM.

The commonest cause of upper arm pain is injury ( due to stretch/tear ) to the network of nerves that is responsible for sending signals to the hand, arm, shoulder from the spine. Also known as brachial plexus injury. The other causes are sprains/strains, tendinitis, etc.

You should consult a neurologist and get clinically examined. The inflammation, tenderness and degree ( intensity ) of pain need to be detected to assess any injury to the muscle, nerve or tendons. You may need an X-ray or MRI.

Analgesics like acetaminophen may give temporary relief. Whether you require splint, brace, physiotherapy, rest or surgery depend on the diagnosis made. Pain relieving sprays and oitment can be of help.

Take nutritious diet and multivitamin supplements. Take care.
Answered: Tue, 19 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor