Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Have irregular bleeding. Had bleeding post sex. On Nortrel. Suggestion?

hi i just started my birth control this mounth its nortrel 1/35 (28) day pill and i have had irregular bleeding but my friends and mom said thats normal just my body getting use to the pills but i just had sex with my boyfriend for the first time ever and i was still bleedingbut it was light but it happened anyway but now im bleeding heavely now is that bad? and does nortrel protect against pregnancy? and we used a condom for most of it just not like the first 3mins and he did not sperm, could i be pregnant? plz help fast :(
Asked On : Thu, 18 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  36
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Thanks for using healthcare magic.

I have gone through your available history.

If you have sex for the first time, bleeding is common due to hymen rupture.

If it is not for the first time , then it needs to be thoroughly investigated. You should consult gynecologist for expert examination and evaluation. Doctor may rule out vaginal tear or cervical pathology if any.

If you have taken contraceptive pill regularly, than there is no chances of having pregnancy but if you have missed dose in between, there may be a chance of getting pregnant.

I hope It will help you.

Answered: Thu, 27 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful
OBGYN Dr. S Patra's  Response
Mar 2016

Some women may find out irregular bleeding and other side effects for initial few months after starting birth control pill. It is quite common thing.

Slight bleeding and pain at first sex is quite common. It occurs due to hymen rupture. It heals automatically and pain decreases with the time.

Protected sex is best choice for first 1-2 month after starting the Nortel pill. Here, chance of pregnancy is quite low. Do a home pregnancy test after 7 days of missed period.

Please consult with gynecologist to proceed other relevant investigation to rule out pelvic pathology if any. Hope it helps.
Answered: Thu, 27 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor