Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Have grade 1 fatty liver. High SGOT and SGPT. How can it be reversed?

I have fatty liver , it was grade 1 earlier and now it is grade 2 within 2 years. I have been a heavy drinker, every alternate day since the last 25 years, and the quantity has been 200ml per drinking day. My serum biliburin is ok, SGOT and SGPT are a little high ,Want to find out the following: a. can it be reversed. b. Can I drink occasionally, if yes then at what frequency. c. What about other dietary restrictions
Asked On : Thu, 21 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  324
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
 Fatty liver is a common condition these days because of increased alcohol consumption,junk foods and sugary foods.
No drug has been approved for its treatment.
 The best approach is to do the following:
Quit alcohol completely and not even a single drop,if you want your liver to become normal,otherwise it will progress towards alcoholic hepatitis and ultimately cirrhosis.
Maintain your weight at normal level, based on your height.
Regular exercise (e.g., brisk walk for 40 minutes a day )
Maintain your blood glucose and lipid levels within the normal range.
Avoid sweets,junk foods like burgers and pizzas and colas.
Take more of fresh fruits and green vegetables.
Take a super B complex vitamin with 1000 mg of VIT C.

If you don't drink alcohol any further,fatty liver is completely reversible.

Answered: Fri, 22 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

4 Doctors agree with this answer

Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Vedhas Nimkar's  Response
You should avoid alcohol as these changes in liver would worsen and may lead to alcoholic hepatitis and eventually cirrhosis which would be non-reversible.
Answered: Fri, 22 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor