Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Have cholesterol reading. Can any online doctor help in reading?

My total cholesterol is 238 since early the year. LDL is 155. HDL is 62. I am 5 3 and 142lbs. I cannot lose weight. I am really overweight. I am still young 43. Should I take medication for treatment ? My doctor have me to take LIPITOR (atorvastatin calcium) 20mg. I check online there are serious side effects. Leg / arm cramps and damage to liver. Once I put on its for many years.
Asked On : Fri, 11 Oct 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  32
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic,
You have elevated levels of Total cholesterol and LDL but good thing is that your good cholesterol is high that is HDL which is 62 mg/dl.

Treatment of High cholesterol is life style changes like diet changes to reduce calories and fats in diet ftas should be
Regular exercise is also equally important which will also help in loosing weight.
You should not loose heart.

Consult Physician and these statin like Atorvastatin or Rosuvastatin can be prescribed by doctor and have good result.
Side effects are there but they are not common and can be monitored by Physician.

It is proved scientifically that advantages are more if we take these drugs and yes they have to be take for long time may be lifelong.

Hope this helps
Take care.
Good Luck.
Dr.Akhilesh Dubey M.D.
Answered: Tue, 22 Oct 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor