Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Have broken impacted teeth and decay. Cannot afford dentist. What to do?

I am a 51 year old woman with low income. I believe I need remaining teeth pulled to get dentures , or implants. I am suffering with broken impacted teeth and decay. I can t afford a dentist . What should I do? I believe I would be a good candidate for dental students to be able to perform real dental procedures. Can I do that?? Jamie
Asked On : Mon, 25 Mar 2013
Answers:  8 Views:  88
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
hello Jamie,
since you say that you can not afford a dentist so approaching dental students or free dental camps organised by various hospitals can definitely help you. i would suggest that before deciding to go for a denture just get your full mouth check up done and i think that should be affordable. avoid to go for implants as the procedure requires blood tests and all.any tooth that can not be saved can be extracted and the others with good prognosis can be conserved.yes definitely you can be a good candidate for dental students and don't worry they perform thier treatments under supervision of highly qualified doctors.....
take care.hope this may help you
Answered: Mon, 22 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Farah Hussain's  Response
hello there ,

It is not advisable for you to go for dentures . Before getting all the teeth removed and plan for dentures i would suggest you to consult a dentist and get the clinical examination done.

Any mobility in the teeth can be treated successfully , infected teeth can be treated by root canal procedure , decayed teeth can be filled and missing teeth can be replaced by prosthetic teeth.

so according to the oral condition , treatment can be planned.

if you cannot afford a dentist , you can approach free dental camps conducted at various places who give costfree treatment. yes you can approach a dental college or dental school where students can give free treatment to you.

i hope this helps you,

get well soon.

take care.
Answered: Tue, 26 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Juhi Soni's  Response
Thanks for the query,
As you have broken impacted teeth so you can go for its extraction.
You first consult a dentist for thorough clinical examination so that you can be aware about other treatment options too.
If few of your teeth are alright and can be saved then you can go for an overdenture.
Root canal can save your infected teeth so better go for a conservative treatment.
Take care
Answered: Tue, 23 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for posting the query,

I will first of all suggest you to get complete clinical evaluation of your teeth done .
Take an OPG x-ray , depending upon which decide the treatment plan.
Teeth which can be saved can be treated RCT upon which prosthetic crown can be placed.
Teeth which are badly carious or mobile tooth , tooth fragments can be removed and can be replaced by fixed or removable prosthesis .

You can look for any charitable dental trust , or else you can also consult dental students can give you good quality of work .

Hope this helps out.

Answered: Mon, 25 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response

Thanks for posting your query.

Since the remaining teeth in your oral cavity are in compromised condition,you have to get your remaining teeth extracted completely.

A complete denture has to be fabricated once the socket heals completely.

You can approach a dental camp or dental colleges where you can get treatment done free of cost.

Hope this helps.
Answered: Sun, 21 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Neha Gupta's  Response
I am Dr.Neha Gupta (dentist) and am glad to address to your query here.

First, it is obviously a bad situation you are in. You need to take drastic measures to heal your mouth. Diet and nutrition are essential, as well as avoiding bad lifestyle choices (like smoking, alcohol, drugs, poor sleep patterns, anger).

try Clove oil and advil...for temporary relief

Some cities get with their dentists who'll perform free dental work once a year.
there are camps whill will help you.

Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at healthcaremagic through my profile directly.
Answered: Tue, 26 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist, Periodontics Dr. Palvi 's  Response
thanks for the query...
impacted tooth has to be pulled out before you go for dentures... there is no other second option...
yes... you can go to dental students in camps or in institutions... they will perform the procedures in presence of qualified doctors and will perform them well...
so don't worry and go for it...
take care...
Answered: Tue, 23 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Anshumala Singh's  Response
Hello and welcome.

Thanks for sharing your concern.

yes, definitely you are right in your can very well visit dental schools where students are trained under trained professionals.

Also you should not hesitate in doing so,because no student is allowed to handle patients without supervision.Therefore your treatment can be very well done within affordable cost.

please remember your wisdom tooth requires extraction to avoid abscess development there due to food lodgement.

Hope it helps.


Take care.
Answered: Fri, 19 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor