Is growth of permanent teeth behind the milk teeth normal?

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Fri, 11 May 2018 in Dental Health
Question: Hello Doctor,
My daughter (6 years old) has milk teeth. Two normal teeth are sprouting from behind existing ones (photo attached) however the existing ones are still "fixed"/ not starting to loosen up (if that makes sense). Is this normal? Kindly see the photograph and advise.
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Over retained milk teeth.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Thanks for the query..

As your daughter is 6 years of age, it is the right time for the lower front teeth to erupt, but the milk teeth should have fallen by now.

So if the milk teeth does not fall and are firm then first of all an x ray should be done..

If teeth show no signs of falling naturally then they should be removed by a Dentist..

It is important because the milk teeth can disturb the alignment of permanent teeth so it has to be taken care of..

Please let me know for more queries..

Regards..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 39 hours later
Thank you doctor. My daughter is too sensitive to pain. Is tooth removal painful (once anesthesia effect is over)? Is removing two tooth at the same time recommended? Would we need to use any braces to push new teeth (which now are behind milk teeth) forward?

Thank you very much in advance.

xxxxx
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Painkillers will be advised.

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Do not worry of pain as painkillers will be advised to her so that she does not get pain..
One tooth at a time will be removed..
If she will need braces or not will be decided once all her permanent teeth erupt..
So first get the extraction done..

Hope this helps..

Regards..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj