Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

Have adenoma growth on parathyroid glands. Abnormal PTH blood test reports. Adenoma removal suggested. Any other treatment?

I am a active 47 year old women and have a health concern/question. My GP suspects I have a Adenoma growth(s) on my Parathyroid Glands due to two abnormal PTH Blood Test results. My calcium and magnesium levels appear to be fine, but my PTH tests are high (last one was a reading of 87 this month, which was up from 57 last September. I am not sure of the unit volume). I am scheduled for a 3 hour Nuclear Scan tomorrow for further investigation. My GP thinks I need surgery to remove the Adenomas to get the PTH levels back to normal. Is surgery the only prevention to remove the Adenomas and get the PTH levels back to normal so the Calcium levels does not cause Osteoporosis, Kidney Stones and Heart problems? Is there a less invasive way to get the PTH levels back to normal, especially when my calcium levels are normal? I am feeling pressured into surgery. My only symptom is fatigue and headaches around my monthly cycle. Will things get worse if I do not have the surgery?
Asked On : Thu, 28 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  94
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Endocrinologist, Surgical 's  Response
Normocalcemic Primary Hyperparathyroidism is a possibility.Kindly review with MIBI nuclear scan.If only one gland is enlarged Focussed or Minimally Invasive Parathyroidectomy is a safe option which can be done even under local anaesthesia.
Answered: Tue, 16 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor