Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Had miscarriage due to subchorionic scattered areas of cystic change anteriorly to the gestational sac. Meaning?

Hello. I have a question. I had a miscarriage 6 month ago. I just received copy of my records but unfortunately I’m not a doctor so I don’t understand what it says. Can you please explain in plane language what it means. Yhank you very much. Here what it says There is also subchorionic scattered areas of cystic change anteriorly to the gestational sac and also to the right of the gestational sac suggesting small subchorionic hemorrhages. The right ovary contains a small slightly complex cyst of approximately 1.50cm in size. The left ovary contains tiny follicles. Next ultrasound says In the right ovary, there is a complex cyst measuring 2.4 cm with single septation. This cyst shows mild increase in size when compared with the prior examination. No pelvic mass is seen bilaterally. Thank you very much for your help.
Asked On : Sat, 23 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  33
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Radiologist 's  Response
Welcome to HCM and thank you for expressing your concerns to us.

I'm sorry to hear about your miscarriage. Truly, it's a distressing situation when you lose a baby that you were hoping that you will have.

The subchorionic changes, subchorionic haemorrhages, etc are all related to the abnormalities associated with miscarriage. They suggest that the miscarriage took place because the placenta (the special organ that connects the baby to the mother) had abruptly and prematurely detached from the uterus, i.e. womb. As a result, the growing baby was deprived of nutrition and oxygen and died.

The other finding, and in fact the more significant one, is the "complex cyst". It is quite a point of concern that the cyst is "complex" in nature, and also a point of concern that it is increasing in size. However, often, cysts less than 5 cm in size are not much of a threat, although they cannot be ignored completely either.

Do you have any problems with menstruation, eg increased amount of bleeding, prolonged duration, or pain during menstruation? Whether or not you already have these problems, my suggestion to you would be to consult a gynaecologist and follow her advice.

I think what you will be asked to do is have another ultrasound perhaps about 6 months later in order to determine how the cyst changes -- whether it enlarges, remains the same or becomes small. You may also be asked to have your blood tested for hormone levels.

If the cyst remains as it is and does not cause you any physical / hormonal problems, you can continue life as before with only periodic checks on the cyst. However, if it enlarges or creates problems, various patterns of treatment are available to restore you to normal life.

Overall, awareness, promptness and openness with your doctor are the keys to alleviating any worries that you may be having.

Wish you all the best.
Answered: Thu, 28 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor