Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Had headache temple area. Taken advil with cold water got toothache. Visit dentist?

I very rarely get headaches, and when I do, they're sort of all over. For several hours now, I've had a very localized and painful headache in my left temple. I just went to take some Advil with very cold water, and immediately it felt like there was also a toothache on the back tooth or teeth on that side. I'm miserable, and want to know how to make this pain go away. Will it let up? Should i just wait it out and suffer through? Should I go to a doctor? Or a dentist?
Asked On : Tue, 9 Apr 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  24
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

Pain in the tooth indicates infection, an infected tooth can be root canal treated to save it permanently.

Headache can be of dental origin (radiating pain).
I would suggest you to visit to a Dentist and get a checkup done, take an x-ray of the tooth.

Take tab odoxil TDS and tab Zerodol TDS for three days.
Maintain a good oral hygiene, use antiseptic mouthwash gargles twice daily.

Hope this helps out.

Answered: Tue, 9 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Farah Hussain's  Response
hello and welcome to HCM,

Tooth ache indicates bacterial decay or infection in the tooth that involves the exposed tooth nerve tissues .

dental pain often radiates to the surroundng structures like head ear , neck and temple area.

such infected tooth needs to be treated by a root canal procedure so please consider getting the treatment done by consulting a dentist.

you may need a X RAY examination done for your teeth to confirm the spread of infection.

i would suggest you to start with antibiotic Augmentin 625mg along with analgesics like aceclofenac two times daily for 3 to 5 days .

i hope this helps ,

take care.
Answered: Tue, 9 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
Hello ,Thanks for writing in.

The headache may be associated with the tooth infected at that area.
I would suggest you to get a clinical check-up by a dentist.
The decayed tooth has to be restored after removing the infected pulp completely.
Also x-ray can be taken to check any periapical infection underlying.
Meanwhile get your teeth cleaned.
Keep your teeth clean.
The pus has to be drained out completely.
Hope this helps.
Answered: Tue, 9 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor