Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Had a grafting surgery on face and neck after getting burned. Swelling and pain near the grafted area. Is it normal?

I was involved in an Electrical Explosion and burned my face, neck , left arm ( wrist to elbow , major area), right arm (wrist to mid arm, minor). I had a skin grafted from both my arms (skin taken from left thigh, 3 strips of 1.5in x 8in). A portion of the grafted area, (3in x 3in area) from my elbow to mid-arm, is swollen and I sometimes experience tinges of sharp pain from the same area, lasting for around 5-8 seconds. Kindly advise on what I should do as the doctor who looked into the matter told me that it is still normal but has told me to get a custom made pressure support for my two arms as some part of the grafted skin is starting to peel off.
Asked On : Tue, 26 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  119
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon 's  Response

Please check with your doctor to find out if you are developing hypertrophic scarring which is very common after skin grafting. As the skin graft heals, it tends to contract a bit and that is when you start getting tingling sensations and sharp pains from the area. This is exacerbated by the development of hypertrophic scarring. Your doctor is right to advice pressure garments because these work very effectively in reducing the swelling associated with these abnormal forms of scarring.
Answered: Wed, 27 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor