Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

Had Jaundice. Bilirubin and USG was normal. Cause and does once treated make me immune to it?

hi sir, i have recently recovered from jaundice, my bilirubin label was 5.0. Test reveals none of hepatitis A,B or C profile, also i don't drink alcohol nor tank any drugs.Hemogram and USG report was also normal. Can you tell me what could have caused that jaundice. Can eating excessive fatty and rich food cause jaundice. And just for knowledge can vitamin supplement kill hepatitis virus in liver? Can infection with hepatitis A virus once make someone immune to that virus for lifetime?
Asked On : Thu, 18 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  27
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
General Surgeon 's  Response
Apr 2013
Hi and welcome to HCM
hyperbilirubinemia is usually caused by liver and gallbladder disorders,but sometimes it is also caused by hemolysis and blood disorders. YOu should check your red blood count and immunoglobulines more detailed. Some autoimmune disorders can affect your bilirubin levels.Also temporary bile duct obstruction cause elevated liver enzymes and bilirubin. Food isnt usualy cause of such elevated bilirubin,but some medicines and toxic substances are. People have immunity to certain type of hepatitis A after infection, but viral mutation cause innability for lifetime immunity.Vitamin supplmements can strengthen immune system, but it wont kill viruses directly.
Wish you good health.
Answered: Thu, 18 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Cardiologist Dr. Anantharamakrishnan's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

You have not stated your age, gender, personal habits, family history or co-morbidities
HAV generally induces immunity
Vitamin supplements are useless to treat it.
There are several other viruses / other diseases - familial or acquired that can cause jaundice - Hepatologist will be the best person to investigate.

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Answered: Thu, 18 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor