Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

Family history of schizophrenia. Will I get the same?

Hi, I m concerned that schizophrenia runs in my family. I have a great-aunt and a uncle (who has since committed suicide ) both on my mother side who have schizophrenia, and to be honest it scares me a bit. I m just about at the age (late teens) where a physcotic break is most likely to happen and i m getting more and more concerned about it. My step-mother wanted me to go and get checked out by a doctor but the whole thing just freaks me out. I didn t see much of my uncle when he was really sick, but what i did see and what i know about was horrible. I don t want that to happen to me.
Asked On : Thu, 31 Jan 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  31
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Thanks for your query. Though schizophrenia can be genetically transmitted, the genetics of the disorder has not been completely unravelled yet. The chances if one parent is affected is approx. 12%. There is no preventive measure you can take at this point of time. Hopefully, you belong to the other 88%. Hope you found the information useful.
Dr Sundar
Answered: Fri, 1 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Psychiatrist Dr. Sushil Kumar Sompur's  Response
Jun 2013
Hi there ~

Though you have a greater chance of getting schizophrenia due to the family history, please do not be concerned to the point where you are stressing yourself out. There are two aspects to the heritability of this condition, one is nature and the other is nurture. If you already have the genes for the disorder (schizophrenia genes have not been clearly identified and there are multiple genes that have been associated with it), your social circumstances including but not limited to your upbringing, lifestyle and relationships also play a role in your getting the disorder. I think that there is no cause for concern right now, however having yourself be seen by a psychiatrist as well as letting someone you live with know about your concern is essential. Others would notice a change in your habits better than yourself. Hopefully this helped.

Take care.
Answered: Thu, 31 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor