Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Extreme pain while breathing, difficulty in lifting arms post treatment for chest wall contusion. Cause and remedy?

I had a bicycle accident. I fell on top of my handle bar hitting my sternum. I was immediately in pain and out of breath. I thought it would go away but it didn t.I went to the hospital the next day. I couldn t lift my arms,breathe, laugh, cry, cough , sleep, etc. My blood pressure was escalated they only took a front view of my sternum. Gave me a breathing treatment, and a prescription for albuteral inhaler . I left in more pain than when I arrived. I was very dissapointed. I felt If I would have had insurance they would have at least done a side view x-ray . It has been a month. I still can not do much of anything without feeling pain all over again. Is there anything other than time to help heal ? And do you suggest I Find another docter who will make sure Everything is ok. I feel that the way I feel amonth later is not normal. I was also sent away without any pain meds etc. The pain was unberrible at times. Do you think I am healing properly? My diagnosis was chest wall contusion. Thankyou sincerely for your attention to my injury. K Knight
Asked On : Sun, 29 Jul 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  148
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Dear Knight,

Welcome to HealthcareMagic forum

Chest wall injuries can be excruciation as the muscles are constantly in action - thanks to breathing efforts. Each movement of the chest can not only cause pain but also affect healing time.

The inhaler should take care of any breathing difficulty that you might have. But I wish the doctors also prescribed you some antinflammatory drugs to take care of pain. If you have history of asthma, that may have prompted the doctors not to write a pain killers to you.

So if you do not have any wheezing or bronchial asthma you may consult a general physician. He/she can prescribe you a good antiinflammatory drug to reduce the pain. This will also aid in faster recovery.

If a doctor visit isn't feasible, you may try tylenol (if you aren't allergic to paracetamol) along with hot compresses to reduce the pain and discomfort. A side view of the chest (right or left lateral view) can be requested if the pain is mainly involving the sides (lateral chest wall).

I wish you a speedy recovery and I hope you found some useful information on Healthcaremagic.

Best regards
Answered: Mon, 30 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor