Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

Should I switch to any other inhaler apart from Seroflow for asthma? Would you recommend a nose operation to broaden the air passage?

User rating for this question
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 784 Questions
Hi Doc. I am using Seroflow 250 rotainhaler for my Ashtma on frequent basis. My general praticioner tells me that my nose's inner bone / cartilige has over grown and that if i opt for operation, it will have lasting impact on my breathing as well as Asthma. Should i switch to any other inhaler as i have to regularly use the inhaler every 2 days? Further would you recommend a nose operation to broaden the air passage for any positive impact.
Posted Thu, 9 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Most likely will not improve the asthma Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Seroflo rotahaler is used for allergic bronchitis and asthma. The underlying problem in asthma is also allergy. The ingredients of the inhaler help in better dilatation of the respiratory passages in the lungs and thus better exchange of oxygen. There is no surgical treatment which corrects allergy. What your GP is saying is that there is deviated nasal septum (DNS) and that correcting it will help you in better breathing and will also help in asthma. Correction of DNS does help in correcting obstruction of nose if one is having obstructive symptoms. You have not stated so in your history. So, incidental finding of DNS without any obstructive symptoms will not give you any appreciable improvement in anything. As far as getting better of asthma with DNS surgery, it is very difficult to predict so any most of the patients of asthma do not improve with surgery until and unless one is having appreciable nasal obstructive symptoms. Why you want to switch inhaler if it is giving you improvement when you use. Whichever inhaler you will shift on, you will be required to use it frequently and regularly. If your symptoms are not improving even after use of inhaler, you should consult your doctor and if need be change the inhaler in consultation. Feel free to ask another query. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor