Drinking alcohol, does it raise or lower your blood sugar ?

drinking alcohol does it raise or lower your blood sugar?
Thu, 31 Mar 2011
Moderate amount of alcohol intake has shown increase in the insulin sensitivity and dose not seem to affect the blood pressure level. But chronic intake has shown it otherwise.

Alcohol does add to those extra calories.
  Anonymous's Response
Anonymous's  Response

Some people who have diabetes can safely drink moderate amounts of alcohol, but for others any amount of alcohol intake can have very negative health consequences.

There are some circumstances under which diabetics should not drink alcohol in any amount. The key for those with diabetes is to understand what conditions can be worsen if they consume alcohol.

According to the American Diabetes Association, drinking alcohol is a poor choice if diabetics have the following conditions:

Diabetics taking medication to control blood sugar levels should first ask their doctor if it is okay to drink alcohol with their specific medication.

If you have diabetes and take insulin shots or oral diabetes pills, you risk low blood sugar when you drink alcohol. To protect yourself, never drink on an empty stomach.

Plan to have your drink with a meal or after eating a snack.

General rules:
1)Simple drinks (wine, beer) are more reliable than complex mixed
drinks, especially in company where you have less control over
the contents or concentration.
.
2)Approach anything with caution if you are in doubt.

3)Low alcohol beers are not necessarily preferred - many of them are
rather sweet.
4)Alcohol provides about 7 cal/g of food energy. Some is lost in the
urine, but most is converted by the liver into forms which can be
used for energy elsewhere in the body or stored as fat.