Does using lithium for bipolar 2 patient cause weight gain/kidney damage?

Currently on lamictal 150 twice a day and Siloam. My dr has just introduced lithium which I m not happy about. My concerns are the weight gain and the effects that it may have in my kidneys as they already have scaring on them. I have bipolar 2 and was thinking of topomax. What do I think
Thu, 17 Oct 2019

The mood-stabilizing drug lithium remains an effective mainstay of treatment for bipolar disorder—but unfortunately, it can cause weight gain.

Although the possibility of gaining weight while taking lithium is well known, this side effect does not affect everyone who takes the medication.

Kidney damage due to lithium may include acute (sudden) or chronic (long-term) kidney disease and kidney cysts.

The amount of kidney damage depends on how long you have been taking lithium.

It is possible to reverse kidney damage caused by lithium early in treatment, but the damage may become permanent over time.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr AJEET SINGH, General & Family Physician