Does a heart attack warrant a visit to the ER ?

Thu, 17 Dec 2009
's  Response
Definitely! ASAP!

I have had three heart attacks over the past two years. I have been referred to four doctors for my heart exams, lab work, etc. Each doctor recommends another medication for me. I am real uneasy about four doctors not knowing what the other has given me. I am taking 15 meds right now from four doctors. Is my concern warranted?

Earlier today my mom went to the emergancy room for heart and pain in her arms. I looked on WebMD for anwers and they said it might have been a sign of a heart attack my dad just called me and said that she was still in the ER hooked up to a bunch of machines. Is it a heart attck? If not what is it? and what will they do?

Hello. My mother went to primary care doctor after having chest & and arm pain. The Dr said it was a possible heart attack and referred her to a cardiologist. They also took a blood test to check her enzymes. The cardiologist still hasn t contacted her in 2 days. Her primary Dr called her today and told her that it was a heart attack but didn t prescribe her any medication or refer her to the ER where she can have further tests done. She s saying that her primary Dr. said that she could have another one within 24-72 hours. Why didn t her primary Dr. tell her to go into the ER or prescribe medication to lower the risk of a second one? Is there a chance of her having a second one within the next couple days?

Recent questions on  Heart attack

I am a 47 year old diabetic lady, who had a Gastric Band fitted three years ago, and lost 6 stones. Before having this procedure, I had slightly raised cholesterol, but not high enough for medication. Over the last three years my Total Cholesterol level has gradually increased from 5.4 to now 7.1 My Bad cholestrol is very high, but my good cholesterol is VERY good, I don t have the exact figures. My Dr put me on Simvastatin approx three years ago. I took them willingly, and carried on my life as best I could, not realising how tiered and exhausted they made me feel with lots of aches and pains, I thought my problems where early menopause. Anyway last year after much research on the internet, I discovered that statins could give bad side affect in concentration and tiredness and muscle weakness, so I decided to address this with my Dr. Who instead of listening, gave me another tablet to take on top of the statins, because my cholesterol had started to rise again. (Sorry don t have the name of this one) I took these for a month, and they made me almost incapable of getting out of bed, the tiredness was so debilitating. I decided to stop taking them, and the Simvastatins. So I gradually weaned myself off of the drugs. I had decided not to tell the Dr, so I did it on my own. Anyway, when I went back to the Dr about something else a few months later, I told them what I had done, they strongly advised me to take another type of Statin. This time Atrovastatin 10mg was to be taken. I said I would but if they made me feel bad, I would stop them straight away. I took them for 10 days and started to get all the same side effects so just stopped, and the Dr could not persuade me to re take them. Then this year I have had a cholesterol test, and I am now showing a total of 7.1 When they told me how high it was, I said I didn’t care, because Id rather die tomorrow, than spend any more time taking these drugs. Anyhow they persuaded me to have one more try, and have given me Fluvastatin 20mg. That was nearly a month ago, and I haven’t talked myself into starting to take them yet, but would just like some general advice about High Cholesterol. Does high cholesterol mean that I’m going to have a heart attack or does it just mean I might? I do have heart problems in my family, my mother died at 48 of a massive stroke, but she was very over weight, and my father has just been prescribed Simvastins, for his high cholesterol, and he like me now, is a very slight man, he is 74 years old, and has developed Altzimers. He has also started to complain about tiredness and weakness ( possibly the same side effects as me). He does not eat a lot of high fat foods, and often forgetting to eat at all unless it is put infront of him. Can cholesterol really be inherited? What can I do? I live in the Mediterranean most of the time, so I feel my life style is very healthy. I eat plenty of fruit and veg, I drink moderately and do not smoke. We cant get takeaway food here, so nearly everything is prepared from scratch. My only vice is butter, and that is only when I m worrying about all this. Is there any alternatives to Statins, I did read something about a dialysis machine for cholesterol? But that was a long time ago, and was in the early stage of development. Should I try these next ones, or just forget it and see what happens. I like my life now, When I was on the Simvastatins, I felt I had no life at all, almost like I was taking part in someone else s life, not quite mine. I don t want to go back to feeling like that. Please help....

hi , sir i am rahul (m) 28 years old 5.10 height and 96 kg weight .before few month i have felt a sudden discomfiture on the left side of my body. there was a feeling or sensations of burning and something disturbing . i also felt almost faint ans short breath. which i managed through deep breathing. i consulted my doctor and he asked eco test . wich recorded normal , my suger lvl , BP, all went normal. he told me not to worry and gave some acidity related medicine but this again repeated after 2 days i again went to the doctor and again the same test was done (ecg) it was again normal and all sugger, bp all was normal . this time he also asked for some more tests like TMT test , chest xrays, eco (ultra sound ) and sonography test all the test went normal . i again got the same problem burning in the chest and i almost had a egc test 12 time and all time the test are normal. now i am having a stiffness in the upper part of my body . since a month which includes stiff chest , solders, upper back . and some times back and both upper jaws . i am really confused that do i still need to be worried about the cardiac problem or its jus a common anxiety. and how long does its usually exists . and how can it be corrected my whole body keep cracking and i keep stretching it like made even while i am walking . i have started swimming, and walking . and also reduced the intake of the outside junk food, sweets, and coldrinks .( i dont smoke and drink . my cholesterol is 186 .i am really not able get out of it and draw the conclusion that weather i need to be worried or not .i do not make any heart attack or any heart related diseases in the family history.plz help me with the reply ..regards rahul

hi,i went through total thyroidectomy 3 months back.my heart is beating hard and i feel like i will have a heart attack..my tsh level is normal..i take 125 mg of thyroxine daily..also i am 20 years old..why is my heart beating like i will get a heart attack?

I had a legion on my face and after a month it began to cause me chest pain that increased as the sore grew. I was concerned about the chest pain and its size so i went to a clinic. i thought it was a spider bite. he said it clearly wasn t so gave me an ointment for acne. he told me the sore had absolutely nothing to do with my chest pain. I took the ointment for 3 weeks and the chest pain and sore grew. By then i knew it was causing me pain the got more severe. I went to the hospital 3 weeks later and he also told my it wasn t causing chest pain. he gave me a antibiotic for infection and when i was a week into the bottle a pain ripped through my chest which didn t last just one second, but about 3 or 4. When it happened i thought i was having a heart attack. i went home and lanced it myself, which they didn t offer to do. it grew outward in a circle and was slightly smaller than a quarter. not far above the skin, it grew deep into my cheek. it took a week to fight the infection out. the pain subsided from a 8 and some intense 10 to about a 3 with occasional 10 stabbings. its comes and goes throughout the day. I didn t get blood test for the sore from either doctor. now the sore is gone but over the past 2 years ive been to the doctor for my chest pain and they have taken blood samples related to checking my heart. i havent told them about that infection because those first 2 doctors said the sore wasn t causing the pain, but how would they know since they never took a blood test. i know it caused the pain then and the aftermath now. Should i tell the heart doctor about the infection? Will he shrug me off like the other 2? and is it possible the infection is still there or gone but damaged something? what was the infection?

A cat scan for the lungs revealed atherosclerosis of the great vessels , aorta and coronary arteries. Aorta and pulmonary arteries are normal in caliber. Heart and and pericardium are within normal limits. There are no significant mediastinal or...

My father is 91 and his systolic is 228. Don't know the other number. Should I worry?

Hello Doctor, I have had some wisdom tooth pain and went to doctor, he advised me to use hydrogen preoxide one week and lets try the infection go. He took xray of wisdom tooth and said all other looks good. He further said as I have never been to...