• question-icon

Does a central disc protrusion require surgery?

C6-C7 level, mod sized focal cebtral disc protusion w/mild extrinsic mass effect on ventral surface of the lower cervical spinal cord @ this level. Read from MRI report. Has changed in past 2 years as has my symptoms, ie: left hand is pins/needles, increase in migraines & seizures. Dr is doing 2 epidural injections if they don t help I will be referred to Neurosurgeon. Do you think this requires surgery?
Thu, 12 Dec 2019
Neurologist 's  Response

I do not think it is the cause for the seizures, there is no relation between seizures and cervical issues. Cervical issues may cause headaches, but may not necessarily be the case, they do not cause migraine type headache, so more info on headache characteristics is needed to understand whether related. Still wouldn't consider surgery for that indication.

Pins and needle may be related to cervical issues. However if the only symptom, surgery is not the first choice. Physical therapy and pain killers are preferred. Surgery is done only if on the MRI there is evidence of damage to the spinal cord (the MRI report hints at some mild damage) and clinical signs on physical exam suggesting spinal cord damage. Another indication would be intense, persistent radicular pain, pain due to compression of a nerve root, but your account doesn't suggest that.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Olsi Taka, Neurologist