Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
197 Doctors are Online

Dizziness, variable heart beats, decreased heart beat while exercising. Should I get this checked?

For the last couple years my heart sometimes felt like it stopped for a few seconds only when I was lying down many times and I get this scary sinking feeling and dizziness . About six months ago I felt one while I was up and driving my car, I thought it might be because of stress that day. But just today I was on treadmill and my heart rate was steady at 138, then all the sudden I felt weird and confused when my heart felt like it stopped for a second and my heart rate plunged from that down to 128 down to 98 down a couple more times until it was at 50, then went back up again by multiplies of 10. This happended 4 times in 30 mins. Should I get this checked out? I have been going to the gym and walking on treadmill 70 mins 3 days a week for last 6 weeks and this is the first time it has happened.
Asked On : Sun, 18 Mar 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  36
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Cardiologist 's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

     No doubt – you should get checked – as soon as possible...

Fall in heart rate or pressure during exercise is an ominous sign
Dizziness denotes fall in pressure / reduced blood supply to the brain

      The first step is to see a Cardiologist / Irregular heart beats need to be DOCUMENTED by ElectroCardioGram (EKG). Standard ECG records the electrical activity of the heart, for a few seconds. It can detect the arrhythmia occurring during that time only. If the episode occurs randomly, you need Holter or event monitor.

     ECHOcardiogram is necessary to see the heart valves (Mitral Valve Prolapse) / heart muscle (Cardiomyopathy) and heart function (Ejection fraction, wall motion abnormality) / clots...
      TMT – Treadmill exercise ECG; may be with thallium isotope – is necessary to evaluate ischemia (reduced blood flow / Coronary Artery Disease)

You may even need Electro Physiological Studies (EPS)
The treating doctor may suggest them depending on need, based on his assessment of the situation.

Take care     
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Answered: Thu, 22 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor