Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with chronic gastritis, hiatal hernia. Using nicotine patch to quit smoking. Continue with patch?

I have chronic gastritis and a hiatel hernia . Quitting smoking and had a fantastic 12 days pain free after 2 months of horrible pain. Was diagnosed by endoscopy . I don t think I can quit on my own, but I know I have great success with the nicotine patch . Is this a bad idea?going to cause me pain all over again? Because the cigarettes are Killing my stomach and I m not getting any relief with this 40 mg. prilosec, and 80 mg, just REALLY KILLED ME, can you help! Patch or no patch?
Asked On : Mon, 19 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  305
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Addiction Medicine Specialist 's  Response

It is well known that smoking cigarettes can cause gastritis, but smokeless tobacco is also associated with a higher risk of gastritis. Hence, if you use a nicotine patch, there is a possibility that it also will irritate the lining of the stomach and cause pain, but certainly to a lesser extent than cigarettes. There are options other than nicotine replacement therapy to help you quit smoking. You can discuss with your doctor regarding the possibility of using medications like bupropion and Chantix to reduce your craving for tobacco.

Best wishes.
Answered: Wed, 12 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor