Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
164 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with OCD, advised CBT. What is it?

Hello doctor.Thanks a lot for your help.I consulted a psychologist last week and she said that am actually suffering from OCD and stated that it can be from moderate to severe OCD.I told her most of the things that troubles me and she stated that I must do CBT .What is it actually?She said its a kind of therapy but she won`t be able to do it just like that.I need to take medecines before starting to do the CBT as the medecines will make me feel more relaxed. And for that i need to consult a psychiatrist who will prescribe the medecines while she i.e. the psychologist will do the therapy.But will the therapy work?And y should i visit a psychiatrist?I thought psychologist and psychiatrist are mostly the same. Can`t the psychiatrist do the CBT?In that case,i won`t have to see 2 doctors and this will reduce the cost as i don`t want my parents to keep spending so much money on me.And also i feel the psychologist is a bit too young...maybe she has worked only 2-5 years and i feel she might be a bit unexperienced.Am not sure but i want a treatment with someone who is experienced and understand the problem really well. The psychologist seemed surprised at times when i was telling her my problems of repeated washing etc
Asked On : Thu, 17 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  43
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Thanks for your query. i understand your cost constraints and need for both type of therapies. To clarify, a combination of medication and psychotherapy works better in OCD, particularly moderate-severe OCD. Psychiatrists are trained medical professionals authorised to prescribe medication while clinical psychologist are not authorised to prescribe medication but undertake psychotherapy. Only few psychiatrists would be well-trained in psychotherapy. If feasible, i would suggest you continue the current combination therapy.
Dr Sundar
Answered: Mon, 21 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor