Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

Diabetes. High sugar level. What can be done?

My father age is 58 years and he has a diabetes . Now currently his HbA1C is 7.2% but before i was check his blood after 1-1/2 hours dinner its shows 116 and fasting suger is 47 after breck-fast suger level is 151.Before this i watched his suger a couple of times in fasting its under 50 to 60. Plz send me information about this Thanks.
Asked On : Sun, 10 Mar 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  49
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Welcome to HCM,
Your father is Diabetic type II and having fluctuating blood sugar level as his HbA1c is 7.2,his blood sugar goes high.
You should visit Physician/Endocrinologist to check and adjust the dose of anti diabetic treatment.
If he is long standing diabetes then effect on kidney by checking his urinary albumin and blood urea and creatinine.
If he is taking any other medicines then drug interaction and changes in his diet or physical activity may induce hypoglycemia.
You need to monitor his fasting and pre lunch and pre dinner blood sugar level and treatment can be planned accordingly,if he is taking insulin dose should be reduced and can be titrated with the blood sugar level.
If he is taking oral drugs then one can stop evening dose and visit the doctor as soon as possible.
Once he is investigated and diet is planned I am sure his blood sugar level can be controlled and if any complication is detected it can be treated.
In diet he can do a carbohydrate count and take the help of Dietitian.
Please take care
Good Luck
Answered: Mon, 11 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

General & Family Physician Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta's  Response
Fasting blood sugar levels are little low and so you may get the hypoglycaemic attacks ,if the fasting level falls further.
Since you have not mentioned what anti diabetic drug you are taking,I can't advise you which medicine is to be modified.
You must talk to your doctor and get the prescription revised which would require some changes in timing and dose of the drugs.
Random as well as PP levels are normal and so there is nothing to worry on that part.
Answered: Tue, 12 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

  Anonymous's Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

His fasting sugar is a bit low - beware of hypoglycaemia.
OK after food.
Discuss with his doctor - the dose or the drugs or their timing may need some changes...

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Answered: Sun, 10 Mar 2013
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]

Related questions you may be interested in


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor