How can Hb1AC of 8.6 be lowered in a type 2 diabetic?

Neethu
Neethu Vipin

Dietitian & Nutritionist

Posted on Mon, 5 Mar 2018 in Diet Plans
Question: H doctori,
One of my colleagues is suffering from Type II diabetes for almost 10 years and had been regularly using insulin. Of late, after consulting a doctor, she has stopped insulin and started taking GP 2 tablets twice a day. After around 2 months, the Hb1AC level was checked and found to be 8.6. Since this is pretty high, doctor has increased the dosage to GP 4 twice a day.
She has started walking regularly around 30 mins and also trying to control the diet.
I am looking for a prescribed diet chart to be followed by her and any additional recommendations to control the Blood Sugar level. She ideally does not want to go back to insulin.
Age - 41 years , Weight - 60 kgs, Ht - 5 ft 2 inches
Kindly suggest

Answered by Neethu Vipin 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Diabetic Diet- detailed answer is given below

Detailed Answer:
DIABETES.
It is important to note that a balanced diet with all major food groups is important to manage blood sugar levels.

Here are some simple diet related tips to help you understand the type to food that you may include in your diet routine:-

Avoid simple sugars like glucose, honey, candies, sugar, chocolates, ice creams, fried food and refined food like white bread. Fatty dairy products like cheese, cream, mayonnaise and butter are best avoided. However you are required to maintain a fat intake of 3-4 tsp. per day as it is important for the absorption of fat soluble vitamins and other nutrients.

Restrict Fruits rich in carbohydrates like XXXXXXX sapota, grapes, banana, custard apple and avocado and vegetables like potato, colocasia, yam, pumpkin and tapioca. Check the intake of nuts and dry fruits. Nuts provides the good fat and hence a moderate use is always beneficial. However avoid taking the fried or salted nuts. Eat the allowed fruits along with the skin but at the same time make sure that the fruits are washed properly. Avoid coconut and its products, except coconut water which may be included in moderation.

Ensure that there is sufficient intake of raw vegetables and salads in the diet. Raw vegetables, salads and fruits add the much needed fiber to the diet. It delays the absorption of sugar and helps in maintaining the blood sugar levels. Promotes regular bowl movements and support weight maintenance by regulating the calorie intake. Also include the cooked beans and peas and whole grain products in the diet.

Avoid the intake of white bread and buns, cakes and cookies as these are mostly made with refined flour and contain Trans or Saturated fat and sugar.

Consider taking oils like soybean, mustard, canola, safflower, rice XXXXXXX olive and corn oil as these are good sources of unsaturated fat. The intake of these should be limited to 5-6 tsp. per day.

Add legumes and pulses in the diet. Low fat milk and its products are also good sources of quality protein. If you are non-vegetarian, than limit the intake of non-veg to lean cuts of chicken and fish and take only the whites of egg.

Doing regular physical activities for 30 minutes every day would help. Changes in the activity pattern throughout the week, leaves a positive impact on the activity pattern.

Remember that Diabetes Management is a continuous process, a well-planned diet and activity routine is crucial to its success.

Here is a sample menu for you:

Early Morning:
Lukewarm water with 1 tbsp. aloe Vera Gel - 1 Glass
Fenugreek Sprouts ½ cup
Breakfast:
Steamed/low fat preparations
whole wheat bread vegetable sandwich- 2-3 pieces / vegetable poha, upma, XXXXXXX Sevian - 1 cup / Idli - 2 no with Sambhar - ¾ cup / Stuffed vegetable chapatti - 2 no with Green chutney- 1 katori etc.
+ Skimmed milk- 1 glass(sugarless)
Mid-Morning:
Fruits (avoid the carbohydrate rich fruits like XXXXXXX sapota, grapes, banana, custard apple and watermelon) - 1 no or 3/4 Cup cut fruits
Lunch:
2 dry chapatti OR Brown rice- 1 cup
Sabji (preferably leafy/gourd variety) -1 katori
dal – 1 katori
Salad - 1 katori
Skimmed curd- 1 katori      
Evening Snacks:
Tea / Coffee (no sugar) - 1 Glass + high fiber/Marie gold biscuits- 2 nos.
Late Evening Snacks:
Sprouts Chaat / boiled black Chana/rajma with onion and tomato-1/2 cup or paneer/tofu sandwich -1 no.
Dinner:
2 chapatti + vegetable 1 katori + skimmed buttermilk 1 glass + salad 1 katori.
Post Dinner:
Skimmed milk (no sugar) - 1 glass
Presoaked almonds- 2 nos

Hope this satisfies your query.
Eat Healthy Stay Healthy
Neethu Vipin

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana