Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Decayed teeth, had abscessed tooth, swelling in gum. Should I get dentures?

I have really bad decayed teeth from poor hygiene And the disorder I was born with I had absessed tooth almost a year ago and went To the er Had to to go the dentist Went to the u of m school of denistry They said my best opinion was to get dentures on top And partial on bottom.they pulled 3 teeth in the period of going There 8.months . It s hard because i don t have insurance So I had to pay everytime out of pocket I m scared to do it Right now my tooth on the bottom which is the tooth I had the absess is swollen The gum is swollen I brushed it as best I could because it hurts Just a little . I took Advil about an hour ago
Asked On : Thu, 14 Feb 2013
Answers:  7 Views:  138
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
As you have mentioned your tooth seems to have undergone decay . Decayed teeth spread infection to the deep tissues and infects the nerve pf the tooth leading to pain and sensitivity , this is called PULPITIS , that is inflammation of the tooth nerve.
Infection from the tooth spreads to the underlying periodontal tissues leading to formation of abscess.
i suggest you to visit a dentist and get a root canal treatment done for your tooth which will remove the infected nerve and seals the root apex.
Gum abscess is drained and heals as the tooth is devitalized.
the root canal procedure devitalises the tooth completely and subsides pain permanently.
After root canal treatment ,the tooth is covered with a crown coverage and the adjacent missing teeth can also be replaced by a prosthesis.
i hope this helps,
take care.
Answered: Sun, 17 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Khushboo Bhatia's  Response
If you donot have money then there are chances that you can find free dental work and for this you have to really search for on internet. Call dental offices in area and some of them do charity dental work. You can look for free dental clinics organised by dental groups and these can be found on Another place is to go to dental school near your home where sometimes the treatment is free or very cheap as the budding dentists need patients for hands on training but all the treatment is carried out under supervision of qualified dentists only.Dental Abscess is an infection of mouth, jaw or face that generally begins with tooth infection or a dental cavity. The chief cause of Dental Abscess is poor oral hygiene and not undergoing regular dental checkups.When there is abscess formation, the pus gets accumulated at the site of infection. This brings swelling at the affected region. The preferred treatment for dental abscess is surgical drainage by an oral surgeon.If untreated, swelling due to dental abscess can block the airways thereby leading to suffocation.

Answered: Sun, 17 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Akanksha Sharma's  Response
From your query, i understand that you have been troubled with multiple dental problems for a long time now. The main problem that you are facing is related to an abscess in one of your lower teeth. The first line of treatment would be administration of antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs. You can take, novaclav 625 mg twice daily, cipzox tab thrice daily along with a probiotic like vizylac cap twice daily. (Please make sure you are not allergic to any of these drugs). It would be best to take a second opinion for your dental treatment if you are not satisfied with the currently ongoing procedure. An abscess occurs due to infection and either the involved tooth can be treated through root canal therapy or it shall have to extracted depending on its condition. For this a thorough clinical examination and xrays are a must.
Avoid very hot foods and beverages as they exaggerate the inflammataroy conditions.
Hope this advice turns out helpfull.
Get well soon :)
Warm Regards,
Dr. Akanksha Sharma
Answered: Sat, 16 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

  User's Response
as you have disorderd teeth so you sufferd teeth problem and your poor oral hygiene habit it aggrivates your dental you are suffer absesss so you visit your dentist and go for xray so proper diagnosis will be made.rct can be treatment of your teeth.antibiotic cource is also required during your treatment.
Answered: Sat, 16 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Deepthi Reddy's  Response
Thank you for the query.
According to the history you have decayed teeth which lead to formation of abscess .
You got your teeth removed ,its a must to get them replaced .
Here you have not specified about the teeth and your age and the condition of adjacent teeth.
Replacement of the missing teeth can be done in 3 ways depending on the adjacent teeth health ,alveolar bone density in the area where the teeth have been removed, gum health .
Removal partial dentures,metal ceramic bridge, or an implant is the treatment option.
See your dentist and discuss about the problem and get treated according .
Hope this information helps you.
Answered: Mon, 18 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Anshumala Singh's  Response
thanks for your query,
you can use chlorhexidine mouth wash daily thrice, this will prevent development of infection.
If you have abscess now, take Tab Ciplox Tz twice daily for 5 days.
you will get relief with this.

thank you

Answered: Mon, 18 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for sharing your concern with us
Dental abscess can be prevented if a high quality oral hygiene routine is maintained by individuals of all ages.
The severity and type of the abscess will largely indicate the type of treatment that is given. A gingival or peripheral abscess occurring on the surface of the gum is usually drained to compress the side of the face to relieve the pressure, with the infection then treated with a course of antibiotics.
Answered: Sun, 17 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor