Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Continuous abdominal pain radiating to the back, have stomach fullness with small amounts, bloating, flatulence with soft greasy stools. Normal endoscopy, ultrasound. What is the cause and remedy?

Hi. I m a 50yr old healthy male and I have suffered with upper central abdominal pain for about 7 months nows that radiates to my back at times. The pain is constant, but is made worse when I don t eat and when I do. When I eat I feel full very quickly, my stomach bloats, and becomes really tight. I find it difficult to swallow when I eat. After eating I produce a lot of gas and feel nauseous. I go to the toilet and defecate numerous times a day and what comes out is soft, greasy and floats. My urine is a lot darker and I ve noticed my the whites of my eyes are yellow. I ve been to the GP a number of times but they haven t been much help, they give me medication which makes me worse and they don t know what is wrong. I ve been tested for the food intolerances but I have none, had an endoscopy which showed my oesophagus and stomach are fine and had an ultrasound which shows no gallstones. I ve lost a bit of weight but I m not sure as to whether this because I can t eat as much? Any ideas on what it might be or what I should do?
Asked On : Tue, 17 Jul 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  156
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Gastroenterologist 's  Response
Dear nicky,
The duration of the pain that you mention is of concern. Eventhough you
have had normal endoscopy and normal ultrasound , the symptoms do
suggest that you do have some upper intestinal problems. The mention
of greasy foamy stool suggests that you have problem digesting fat.
This might happen when your pancreas is not functioning properly.
Repeated attacks of inflammation of the pancreas can cause this type
of damage and the condition is called "Pancreatitis ". Eventhough the
most common cause is gallstones, other conditions can also cause this.
This could be alcohol related or viral infections . I would recommend
that you see a digestive disease specialist who can perform aditional
testing to look for problems with pancreas.
Good luck,
Answered: Wed, 18 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor