What causes recurrent fever, chills, muscle and joint aches, sore throat and nasal congestion?

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Jan 2014 in General Health
Question: For the last 10 months I have experienced 7-10 episodes higher fever, chills, full-body muscle/joint aches, sore throat nas-congestion. Strange thing is that I'm miserable for only 4-24 hour durations. I've been prescribed antibiotics this year for pneumonia, and denture implant surgery. Might I be harboring a viral infection?
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: P/O viral infection due to decreased immunity. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX There might be some source of infection that is causing recurrent fever. You need proper clinical examination and investigation so that source of infection can be identified. You need routine hemogram,RBS,LFT,RFT,Lipid profile,Ultrasound of abdomen,Chest X-ray(PA view),Urine RE/ME.Further investigations can be done if needed. There are many causes of fever with chill and rigor.It may be due to recurrent urinary tract infection also,but you don't have history of burning sensation in urine and it doesn't resolve in hours.Other common causes like typhoid,chronic malaria need to be ruled out. You may have decreased immunity that is causing recurrent viral infection. Proper treatment can be done after clinical examination and investigation reports. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX