Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Child taking Bacitracin for slits behind ear. History of strep and partial hand paralysis. Any suggestions?

I have a 9 yr old who has slits behind each ear and i have been treating it with bacitracin daily, it has not gotten better. I also had to take her recently pierced ear rings out due to swelling. she has an appt to see a rheumatologist next month after a episode of strep and partial paralysis in her hand for four days. I think it is more to it than just various things do you have any suggestions
Asked On : Tue, 26 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  21
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Pediatrician 's  Response

Thank you for your query.

Application of Bacitracin behind the ear for slits is not the correct approach. I suggest that you ensure that the area is dry and apply some bland ointment or just vaseline two to three times a day.

If the piercing of the ear for ear rings has caused an infection at the site then it needs to assessed and antibiotics be given for it. If the swelling does not heal then the ring or thread which has been used will have to be removed, the wound left to heal and then again do a piercing after 6-8 weeks of the healing of the wound.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing your daughter an early recovery.


Rajiv K Khandelwal
Answered: Tue, 26 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor