What causes a navel discharge with redness, itching and odor?

My 6 year old has this constant oderous discharge from his navel. It is red but not painful, has had it for a couple of years. My Pediatrician didn t see too worried, but is causing to have itching and the smell is not pleasant. I clean it and keep it moist with bacitracin. Should I be worried. No fever or sign of infection.
Mon, 24 Jun 2019
Neonatologist 's  Response

The foul smell from the naval is commonly due to lack of proper cleaning more so if it is a bit inverted, have a pit, where there more are chances of collection of dirt and bacteria.

This will happen more in those who sweat a lot. In case of your son, there is no redness, swelling, pain or any other sign of infection and your Pediatrician has examined him.

Good personal hygiene and cleaning it every day with soap and water during the shower is all that you need.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Anil Kumar Bhatnagar, Neonatologist