What causes persistent redness around a cut wound after injury?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I ran an ax into my leg about 4 inches above my ankle in the front. I did it Nov 17 and didn't get to Dr until Nov 22. Although I treated it with peroxide and anti=bacterial salve was very red around it. It's vertical about 1.5 inches. She prescribed Ceptin and as there appeared no improvement by 25th another Dr added Bactrim and said to keep elevated and soak it. Still very red around it but minimal pain. I'm 62 and type 2 diabetic but my numbers are under control with metformin and Avandia. Any ideas? Still very red around wound but not much discharge. Don't know how deep but definitely not just superficial. Pretty big gash.
Tue, 15 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
may need secondary suturing

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history in detail.

If the wound is completely red without much discharge,then it is definitely in a healing stage.You need not worry.

Even though your sugar levels are under control,still wound healing process is slow in diabetics as compared to normal individuals.

Moreover,the area above the ankle has very less subcutaneous muscle / fat.Due to this,the blood supply is less in this area causing delayed wound healing.

If the wound is red,then I would recommend you to consult a surgeon and get the wound edges stitched together so that the wound will heal within 8-10 days.

The medicines that you are taking are correct and you should continue to take them.You can add vitamin C and arginitric tablets to accelerate the healing process.

To be on the safer side,get an Xray of the affected part done to rule out the possibility of underlying osteomyelitis (infection of the bone underneath the wound)

Local application of bacitracin ointment will help.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Kind regards.

Follow-up: What causes persistent redness around a cut wound after injury? 2 hours later
I'm gonna try to see dr tomorrow and will ask for X-ray. But I don't know if secondary suturing will be ordered since 1 of the doctors acted as if a scab might hinder draining and thus recommended the soaking. Does that seem to make sense? Also are the drugs I'm taking the best for such a condition? Tomorrow will make 6 days since I went to Dr and 10 since the injury and it doesn't appear to me to be improving. I've been on Keflex 4 a day 500 mg since Nov 21 and Bactrim 2 a day 800-160 since Nov 24. Will let you know what I find out when I get home if I can get in to see Dr. Thank you. Also using Mupirocin salve which was substituted for Bacitracin as if generic equivalent by pharmacist.

Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
drugs are correct

Detailed Answer:

Scab might hinder draining,yes,but this is true only about infected wounds draining pus.

Your wound is healthy and red,so it should not cause any problem.

The drugs you are taking are absolutely ok.No need to change untill we get Xray done.

Mupirocin is similar to Bacitracin.

If possible,upload a photograph of the wound here so that i can get a clear idea.

Thanks.