How can cuts and pain on the fingertips be treated despite using Topisol lotion?

Dr. Nagamani Ng

Posted on Tue, 15 May 2018 in General Health
Question: I am following up regarding below question:

I uploaded pictures of the affected hands. The problem started 2 years ago, subsided in between, flared up again in the last 4 weeks. We took treatment from dermatologist earlier, continued Topisol lotion/cream treatment without much success. She has cold symptoms for the past months, also taking medicines for chronic gastric problems.

Please review and provide your inputs.

Mxxxx

My mother for the few days has developed cuts, itching, pain, and cracks on her hand fingertips. Applied Topisol lotion/cream but has not helped much. Looks like eczema/

Kindly advise regarding this.

SEND THE PICTURES

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mxxxx

Thanks for posting the query

If possible please upload the pictures of the affected hand so that i can end up with accurate diagnosis.

Since how long the symptom is persisting?

did u show to any doctor?

Any other medical illness or recent history of illness?

revert back so that i can help you out.
Answered by Dr. Nagamani Ng 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Eczema

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

I have reviewed the attached pictures.
It seems to be due to Eczema only. Now as there is a crack already ask her to apply ointment containing Bacitracin or polysporin and cover the fingers with bandaid. Let her do this for 4 to 5 days. The bandaid has to be there for full day. Let her change at 12 hours of interval. She'll notice the improvement in 5 days of time.

Then the further dryness should be prevented by applying good moisturiser, and Petroleum jelly every night. Avoid harsh chemical contacts like detergents and dish washers. Avoid frequent washing of hands.

If still the symptoms persists she may need oral steroids, so need to consult the dermatologist once more about this opinion.

any issues do follow up.Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Nagamani Ng 4 hours later
Thanks for your advise. We will follow and update you of the status.
Answered by Dr. Nagamani Ng 35 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sure

Detailed Answer:
You are most welcome.

Any issues do update me.

take care.