Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

Child hit head, swollen bruise. What can I do now?

Hi, Iam a Chinese Asian my one year old baby boy slip in the bathroom and fell on his back hurting his back head, after about 5min, I notice a big swollen bruise on his back head. I was startled , what can I do now? He is behave normally,mane just fell asleep after milk. Do I need to bring him to hospital for assessment.? Or what should I do to relieve his swollen bruise. I never see such a big bruise before . He fell down a couple times few months. Nothing like this.
Asked On : Mon, 8 Oct 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  53
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
OBGYN 's  Response
Hello there,
Since your child has sustained head injury, you need to watch out for a few things.
His level of alertness
Increase in size of the swelling
Any vomiting episode
Inequality of pupils if you can successfully do so
His vitals like pulse, blood pressure and temperature
Since the swelling appears big unlike any previous swelling, it is important to get him hospitalized for 24 to 48 hours.
Equally important is to rule out an underlying skull fracture by getting an x ray skull.
Since a complete work up is needed , hospitalization is the single best option.
Take care.
Answered: Tue, 9 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. V. Jayaram's  Response

thanks for choosing health care magic

Please watch out for the following symptoms

1. excessive crying
2. not feeding well
3. vomiting
4. seizures
5. weakness of limbs or unable to move limbs
6. bulging of anterior fontanelle
7. not responding

In case he has any of the above features you will need to contact your doctor . otherwise you can observe him at home

you can give him cold compresses for his bruise
Answered: Tue, 9 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor