Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Child has thalassemia. What should I do to elevate hemoglobin level?

Hello Doctor. My son is 5 y/o now with mild thalassemia diagnosis. I always check his FBC every 3 months but Hb is around 9-10g/l. What should I do to elevate his Hb up to aver 11g/l since he is very easy to have respiratory tract infections, at least 1 time/month. Should he need tonlilectomy or adenoidectomy now? Thank you so much.
Asked On : Mon, 4 Jun 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  52
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Pediatrician 's  Response

Thank you for your query. In Thalassemia Minor, the Hb tends to remain low despite giving haematinics. I suggest that next time get his serum iron level done and if it is normal then you need not worry.

It is very common for children of this age to get a upper respiratory tract infection frequently as they are developing their resistance. You need to get tonsillectomy and/or adenoidectomy done only if indicated by your ENT doctor in consultation with the pediatrician.

Wishing you and your son all the best.
Answered: Mon, 4 Jun 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor