Suggest treatment for adenoiditis

Posted on Tue, 11 Apr 2017 in Child Health
Question: hello doctor,

My son is 5 years old and he is having enlarged tonsils for the last 1 year. In the last one year he had contracted either tonsillitis or strep throat around 8 times and run with high fever. Every time he has used antibiotic(amoxicilin or cefixime) to get well based on doctors treatment. Also he breathes through mouth because he is having adenoids inflammation. So doctors have advised to undergo adenotonsilectomy procedure for my son saying that otherwise his growth can get slowed and that he will not gain weight and affect him. My son weight is 19 kgs and his height is 109 cm. Please advise if we should get the surgery done or if it is not needed. Just to let you know this time when he got strep throat instead of treating my son with antibiotic we gave him honey and garlic for 5 days and he got well .
Answered by Dr. Deepak Patel 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Give alternate antibiotic

Detailed Answer:
hi,
welcome to hcm.
Can understand your concern.

Fever can occur in child due to adenoitis not responding to antibiotic. Weight should be around 18 kg at this age. If there in future, future occurs, throat pain. For fever, you can antipyretic like paracetamol syrup three times a day for 1 weeks.

Adenoidectomy should be done if symptoms like pain abdomen, vomitings after coughing occurs. An X Ray chest should also be done.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Deepak Patel

Pediatrician