• question-icon

What causes swollen lymph nodes in the cheek?

Posted on Fri, 30 Jun 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: hello Doctor,

my 13 year old niece has been reported with some lymphs in her cheek. could you take a look at the attached reports and advise the course of action?

- Thanks, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Kampana 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Re-upload the reports.

Detailed Answer:

I am unable to view your reports. Kindly try to re-upload the reports or contact customercare@healthcaremagic for further assistance.

Looking forward for your reply.

With regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Kampana 2 hours later
Reports attached
Answered by Dr. Kampana 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Adenoid hypertrophy

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,

I have gone through your reports. Your niece is having adenoid hypertrophy and cervical (neck) lymph node enlargements. All other reports seem to be normal.

It is common for children of this age group to have adenoid inflammation and enlargement. Adenoids are a group of lymph nodes in the back and roof of mouth, it helps to control infection by trapping bacteria/virus. It is present with tonsils on either side and gets inflamed together called as adenotonsillar hypertrophy or enlargement. For your niece there is no tonsil enlargement.

So, if it is an acute attack it will be treated by antibiotics. In case there are repeated attacks or difficulty in breathing then she may have to go for adenoidectomy (removal of adenoids surgically).

I hope this answered your query.

With regards,
Follow up: Dr. Kampana 39 minutes later
have added 2 more attachments with questions. Pls advise.
Answered by Dr. Kampana 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It will subside on its own, no need to remove it.

Detailed Answer:

Cheek lymph node will reduce on its own once the infection subsides. It need not be removed. There is nothing to worry about it. The main infection has to be treated with prescription antibiotics as there is no breathing difficulty.

I hope this answered your query.

With regards,

Follow up: Dr. Kampana 1 hour later
is this antibiotic ok ? what should we do if inflammation still does not reduce ?
Answered by Dr. Kampana 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes it is good.

Detailed Answer:

Yes that antibiotic is good. In case it doesn't resolve then it has to be removed surgically. Usually if its the first or second time she is having adenoiditis, it will resolve by antibiotics. Only chronic cases are resistant to antibiotics.

If the infection is due to viral then it will resolve in 2 to 3 weeks on its own.

She can also follow some home remedies like:

- Steam inhalation

- Salt water gargle

- Sipping warm lemon juice with 1 tsp honey or warm milk.

- Drink plenty of fluids, water, soups.

I hope this answered your query.

With regards,
Follow up: Dr. Kampana 19 hours later
Will there be any risks in excision ? If, after surgery, the facial nerves become weak, will they be fine with time ?
Answered by Dr. Kampana 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes there is a moderate risk.

Detailed Answer:

Adenoidectomy is usually a well tolerated surgery. The complication includes bleeding and infection. There is no nerve injury usually.

Cheek lymph node excision is also a minor surgery and usually doesn't cause complications. But sometimes there can be injury to sensory nerve and will recover over time depending on the severity. Other complications include bleeding or infection. Every surgery has its complications but not everybody gets it. Hope for the best.

I hope this answered your query.

With regards,
Dr. Kampana