What causes frequent cold, congestion and throat pain in a child?

Excellent

Question
Hi, My Daughter is getting cold and congestion very frequently with pain in throat and sputum/mucus, what can be reason for same and to whom we should see. Pls advise
Wed, 9 May 2018 in Internal Doctor Category

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
ENT specialist should be seen

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Since your child has recurrent throat problem, it could ether be recurrent infection or allergy. Does she get fever? How often does she get the problem? What are her symptoms?

I would suggest that she sees an Ear nose and throat specialist. Her Throat examination in detail should happen. Also blood tests like complete blood count, sputum examination, X ray of sinuses to be done. This will help find the cause. Avoid unnecessary medication until cause is found.

Hope it helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr Vaishalee

Follow-up: What causes frequent cold, congestion and throat pain in a child? 6 days later
Hi Dr. I have attached test report, Pls review

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Adenoidectomy advised in certain cnditions

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

I have seen the reports. Reports suggest enlarged adenoids.

Removal of adenoid (adenoidectomy) is advised if there is excessive snoring and long-term mouth breathing, sleep apnea or sleeping disturbances, speech abnormalities, facial features seem distorted.

Kindly ask specific query so that I am able to answer better.

Dr Vaishalee

Follow-up: What causes frequent cold, congestion and throat pain in a child? 17 hours later
Thanks Dr.

I have attached Xray Picture also,

Pls help to close how to move for further treatment for which treatment, not sure, need advise?

1. Should I go for PFT test also, what it will help to know?, or we can assume that problem is with adenoid?
2. should we go for NCCT test also, as it is exposure to radiation and what it will help?
3. what about low hemoglobin and low AEC and ABC in report, is it allergic also?
4. since yesterday, she has slight fever at lower side at 97.8/98 and sick feeling of vomiting
Rgds

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Adenoidectomy will help her

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

Adenoid enlargement may be due to some causes and can cause obstructive respiratory symptoms. It means whenever there is obstruction to flow of air to lung, it may show up on tests like PFT.
So doing a PFT may help to know if she has concurrent asthma or any other obstructive symptoms.

We can assume problem is with adenoid. Other tests just needed to know if there is any other issue.

NCCT is just more descriptive than x ray. But the X ray has been quite descriptive and NCCT maybe done only to confirm the diagnosis.

Hemoglobin is borderline low. Can take iron supplements.
Low aec and abc are no cause of worry.

There are chances of recurrent respiratory symptoms in adenoid enlargement. Recurrent respiratory symptoms can cause enlarged adenoids.
Normally adenoids regress by age of 16yrs. Your daughters adenoids are still moderately enlarged. Their removal will not produce much side effects but will help her in breathing better. You can check the side effects of adenoid and tonsil removal surgery with ENT specialist. Adenoid removal does not ensure protection against respiratory symptoms especially if they are due to allergies, viruses etc.

Dr Vaishalee

Follow-up: What causes frequent cold, congestion and throat pain in a child? 2 hours later
Thanks Dr. for your detailed response.
Pls do suggest some iron supplement name for low hemoglobin and what can be given for fever at lower side at 97.8/98 and sick feeling of vomiting ...I have given Razo D...Rgds

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nothing needed for fever

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

For low hemoglobin:
Syrup Dexorange 1 tbsp 2 times a day with juice or water. Rinse teeth after taking dose.

For fever nothing is needed because paracetamol or any other medicine should be taken if fever if more than 102.

For feeling of vomiting also nothing is needed. If she is getting vomiting then syrup Ondem 1 tsp upto 2 times a day can be given.

Dr Vaishalee