• question-icon

Can taking Motrin 3x per day be safe for incisional hernia?

Hi, may I answer your health queries right now ? PlHi, I had an incisional hernia repaired in late June; the recovery process went well until last Saturday - when I bent over a horrible burning sensation which took my breath away, overcame me. Since that time every I bend it happens again. If I put pressure on the area where the interior burning sensation occurs (lower right quadrant of the abdomen), I can bend with no problem. This morning went to see the surgeon that did my incisional hernia operation about this new condition. He toldHi, I had an incisional hernia repaired in late June; the recovery process went well until last Saturday - when I bent over a horrible burning sensation which took my breath away, overcame me. Since that time every I bend it happens again. If I put pressure on the area where the interior burning sensation occurs (lower right quadrant of the abdomen), I can bend with no problem. This morning went to see the surgeon that did my incisional hernia operation about this new condition. He told me to take motrin 3x per day for 10-14 days. I am concerned that I may have a perforated bowel due to a sharp edged "tack" that was used to apply the mesh...is this possible...its real painful...what do you suggest that I do? me to take motrin 3x per day for 10-14 days. I am concerned that I may have a perforated bowel due to a sharp edged "tack" that was used to apply the mesh...is this possible...its real painful...what do you suggest that I do?ease type your query here...
Tue, 8 May 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

The isolated intake of Motrin is not recommended for a patient with a history of a perforated bowel. I strongly recommend taking Motrin along with a proton pump inhibitor and antacid syrup for better safety purpose.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel