Can abdominal tuberculosis cause infertility in women ?

I m 22 female, Can abdominal tuberculosis become a cause for infertility?
Thu, 25 Apr 2013
Pulmonologist 's  Response
Thanks for visiting HCM.
Abdominal tuberculosis is a common cause of female infertility in developing countries like India where tuberculosis is an endemic. Tubercular bacteria usually causes the infection of uterine endometrium and fallopian tube. The scarring or blockage of the fallopian tube may happen in the process of healing or as part of disease process. If the tubes are partially blocked or if one tube is patent then there may be the chance of conception. but if both tubes are blocked then the only option left will be going for IVF i.e in-vitro fertilisation which is now commonly done at many clinics at affordable rates....

Hopefully I have answered your querry..

Best wishes
General & Family Physician Dr. Sheetal's  Response

Abdominal tuberculosis can be a cause of infertility. Adhesions formed due to abdominal tuberculosis may block the fallopian tubes leading to infertility.