Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Can Elephantiasis in my 9 year old son be detected immediately and what are the symptoms ?

when I went India in the last summer my son 9yr old has a water bulge on his feet , I thought it as a mosquito bite immediately i took him to the doctor the doctor gave the antiiotics, i was still worried and asked to prescribe the blood tests to detect if it is elephantiasis . The blood tests are normal, but the doctor told if it is elephantiasis we can not detect in the blood test immediately and it takes some months to detect the disease if that is so how can i know my son is doing normal as of now my son feet is normal
Asked On : Tue, 14 Jun 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  162
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
you can have ELISA test for filariasis OR now a days antigen test is also available to detct microfilaria in blood.
Answered: Tue, 14 Jun 2011
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. P. Mahesh's  Response
Welcome to HCM.
Filariasis (elephantiasis) is usually accompanied with high fever and shivering. Since your son does not have any problem, it is unlikely that he may have contracted filariasis. The blood test to detect filariasis has to be done in the night time, when those microbes enter into blood circulation.
I think you need not worry, because mosquito bite need not always cause filariasis.
Answered: Tue, 14 Jun 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor