Suggest ways to manage excessive weight gain

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I have a low metabolism,,, I have gained excessive weight in thrlast four years. My legs look like tree trunks. Not joking about that. My upper arms are very large as well. I went from 135 to 229 pounds.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Correct the thyroid hormones:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I have gone through your concern.
Under active thyroid may be a cause of the weight gain, especially if the TSH level is very high.
If you do a sedentary life, without physical activity and a correct diet, of course it can explain the weight gain.
Otherwise, a clinical examination would help to rule out a disease called Elephantiasis.
Elephantiasis refers to a parasitic infection that causes extreme swelling in the arms and legs.

The disease is caused by the filarial worm, which is transmitted form human to human via the female mosquito when it takes a blood meal. The parasite grows into an adult worm that lives in the lymphatic system of humans.
So, i would recommend to start treatment for under active thyroid and see a physician in person for a detailed clinical examination to rule out pathologies that cause such a huge weight gain in few years.

Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng