• question-icon

    Suggest treatment for elephantiasis in an elderly person

Posted on Sat, 4 Jun 2016 in Lump
Question: Hello my name is XXXXXXX Verduzco I am 45 years of age i weigth 195 lbs. and i am 5 1" of leigth . I was born with Elephantitys on my rigth hand side that now weigths 10-12 lbs. itself this rare disease has gotten worse meaning has growth to my rigth side on back as well up to my head i feel the weigth which is very paintfully not pain medication recommended from my doctor as I am unsatisfied with his treatments i believe can help and i need help on how to make my disease to stop from growing and cause me to be on the emergency room so much i have faith in god that there is a specialist that will be willing to study or submit me to a treatment I am a single mother of 4 and cant handle been with out a job as it has been a struggle to find a job qith my noticeable disease
I can be reached at phone number 0000 I now have Health insurance coverage through my job if required to schedule an appointment. Here i provide a few photos of my disease please any suggestions in regards i will appreciate and be waiting on a response
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Attach the photos - Meet the General Surgeon to get the proper directions

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query and an elucidate history.
To recapitulate: Female/45 - 195 lbs and 5'1'' - means BMI of 36.8 - Obesity - born with elephantiasis of right hand side that is spreading to the back as well as up to head and causes pain - makes finding job difficult - single mother of 4 and can not handle - now have an insurance - photos attached - wants suggestion ....

I can understand the situation you are going through, this is tough but the life is like that.
Well First of all let me tell you that the photos could not be uploaded. Please load/attach the photos again with this query or send by email to YYYY@YYYY
These are very important as it helps for on-the-spot diagnosis.

I am sure that on a careful search in your location or area you surely will get a Specialist dealing with this.
Although this is not curable disorder, surely can have surgeries to reduce the deformity and disability.
As was/is done in case of elephantiasis of the lower limbs such surgeries can definitely be done on the affected areas too.
The most probable Specialists who can help you are:
Plastic and reconstructive surgeons.
General Surgeon for evaluation, investigations and to guide you through as he would know the best about the Specialist who can help you.

Faith in God is very important as your get the God through someone who can help you through all the problems related to your disorder/disease.
I think you should also consult a Dietitian and an Exercise expert to start on reducing the weight as you BMI is very high and adds to your already existing problems.

I hope this answer helps you to get started with, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you need to or if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Practicing since :1984

Answered : 18097 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Limbs

doctor1 MD

I am 14 weeks pregnant with twins. For the past 3 days am having severe shooting pain in my arms and shoulders. It started with left hand now moved...

doctor1 MD

Patient: Female, 73 years, 6 months old, 5'7" tall, 230 lbs., in generally good health. Hypertension well controlled with medication, lifelong...

doctor1 MD

Dear Doctor, I need an analysis (a second opinion ) on MRI Scan/Film. Patient was diagnosed for ALS -Although I dont too much agree with this. The...

doctor1 MD

Hi I am a person with spina bifida with no other problems excpet back pain and weaker lower limbs. But was able to walk normally like others At 21...

doctor1 MD

my polio effected leg was operated at my age of 6 years, in result there is a difference of 1/2 in length betwwen two leg. that s why there is a...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

140 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. T Chandrakant
  • Q - Suggest treatment for severe pain in foot from hip to toe

  • Q - Suggest treatment for gall bladder stones

  • Q - What causes pain and bleeding post rectocele repair surgery?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for gastritis

  • Q - What causes chest pain and abdominal pain?

  • Q - What does this ultrasonongraphy report indicate?

  • Q - What causes whitish color of outside of urethra?

  • Q - What causes skin growth on buttocks oozing pus?

  • Q - What does this EKG report indicate?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for darkened glans penis