Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
147 Doctors are Online

Brain scan done. Diagnosed as acute stroke. Any suggestion?

I had a brain scan last thurs and was called by va doctor who informed I had an acute stroke sometime recent and that it was pretty serious. She has now gone on vacation and I m left with a lot of questions especially after reading that my life expectancy is reduced significantly. I m 57 decent health but feel like I shouldn t just be pretending nothing has happened. Any suggestions?
Asked On : Thu, 28 Jun 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  78
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Psychiatrist 's  Response
You should consult a neurologist who is sub specialized in stroke/ neurovascular disease. The neurologist will examine you thoroughly and send you for further tests if you haven't yet had them, like carotid artery ultrasound, bloodwork, MRA of the head and neck. Then the neurologist will recommend to you the best way to prevent further strokes in the future and if there is medication, such as aspirin, that you should take to prevent the strokes. Also, the neurologist can suggest a physiatrist who can help you if you have any weakness or gait difficulties following your first stroke. Best of luck with this and do feel better!
Answered: Wed, 4 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor