How safe is Plavix?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 16 Sep 2017 in General Health
Question: I am taking plavix and have a concern about the numerous side effects listed. Can I wear myself off or cut down slowly to a stop?
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Depends on cause of plavix prescription

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
I don't think this is reasonable to discontinue plavix if this was prescribed by your cardiologist,especially if you had history of heartattack or cerebrovascular disease. It has much more benefits in preventing thrombosis than side effects. serious side effects are very rare and generally side effects do not occur often. if do,this is limited to mild headache,nosebleed or nausea. In every case, I would consult cardiologist before stopping it. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T