• question-icon

Blood drops, mucus found in child's stool. Reducing substance, occult blood test positive. Advice required?

Hi Doctor, my baby is 10 month old and is 9KG. For last 2 weeks he has been expreting semi solid stoold almost after each feeding. Last week he had two drops of blood along with his stool, yesterday similar 2 drops were seen and a slight mucus red with yellow stool. We did a Stool examination and the reducing substance is (+++) and Occult Blood Test is positive. The area around anus has turned red due to rash . He was on cow& gate 3 and now he is having nestle s AL-110 as advised by a local paeditrician along with Zinc syrup. WOuld request your advice on the test reports and what do we need to do now. You can answer us at YYYY@YYYY or in here too. Awaiting to hear from you.
Fri, 27 Jun 2014
Gastroenterologist 's  Response
You need to rule out the presence of a rectal polyp or inflammation in the rectum which could be due to food allergies. A proctoscopy / sigmoidoscopywill be useful.