Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Bloated at night, throws up, maybe allergic to lactose. Take lactated tablet?

My 3 1/2 year old son gets bloated, espcially at night. A few hours later, usually late in the evening, or in the middle of night, he wakes up and starts throwing up. It seems he throws up food he has eaten throughout the day. We had taken him to to a pediatric gastroentorologist about 8 months ago. The doctor advised he may be alergic to lactose and receommended lactaid milk. Also, doctor advised that before eating any cheese, milk products, etc., he should take lacataid tablet. We even had, and still have, childerens tums cherry tablets for when he got or gets bloated. All this advice worked for some time, then he went back to doing the same thing. He s been doing it more often lately. I remember the pediatric gastroentorologist saying that if he continued throwing up food that had been eaten ealier in the day, another test would have to be run to see if he is digesting his food too slow. We had not gone back to perform this test since he had gotten better. Now, offcourse, we feel a need to go back to the pediatric gastroentorologist Any advice/ help. Thanking you in advance.
Asked On : Thu, 17 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  20
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM

The symptoms that you have mentioned can be due to lactose intolerance. Checking the pH of stool helps to confirm this condition. A pH below 5.5 on two occasions confirms the diagnosis of lactose intolerance.
Another possibility to keep in mind is celiac disease.
It is a disorder in which an individual becomes allergic to 'gluten', a substance present in wheat grain.
A blood test called tTGA is done to confirm the test.
Besides celiac disease there are various other gastointestinal disorders which are responsible for these symptoms.

Consult your pediatrician for further work up. An examining doctor will be able to move further according to the status of the child.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal

Answered: Thu, 17 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor