Suggest treatment for persistent diarrhea and constant mucus in the throat

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Sat, 10 Mar 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi...I have had diarrhrea for months and constant mucous in my throat so I have to clear my throat often.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to malabsorption or celiac

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Since the diarrhea is ongoing for months, infectious cause is unlikely. Rather, it is more likely to be due to malabsorption or ailments like celiac disease. I would insist you go get a routine microscopy of stool done and to upload the report. I will be able to guide you accordingly. In the meantime, try avoiding ALL wheat and wheat related products for a couple of weeks and see if it helps. It would also be advisable to avoid milk products during this period.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 33 hours later
Thank you. I will start with cutting out wheat and dairy. I appreciate you quick response. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Glad to be of service

Detailed Answer:
Let me know if I could be of any further assistance.
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 days later
Hi Dr. Saha,
How long before I would expect the diarrhea to go away if it is celiac? I have been gluten free since Thursday. The diarrhea already has subsided. I have experienced it once since last Thursday.

My other symptom was the allergy like symptoms. I have a pretty much constant drain to where I have to clear my throat often? Is that a symptom of Celiac or is that something my body is reacting too?

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be celiac

Detailed Answer:
The fact that a gluten free diet is providing relief, points to the possibility of celiac. Bear in mind that taking gluten containing foods will again possibly give you the diarrhea and therefore you need to go gluten free. If on a gluten free diet, the problem is unlikely to continue. Also visit a doctor and get proper testing done (while on a gluten containing diet) to get the diagnosis confirmed.

The constant allergic symptoms can also be associated with celiac but are independent. Both are due to immunological cause. Taking steam inhalation and antiallergics should help.