Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Bipolar condition. How serious?

my ex partner has been diagnoised with bipolar but i dont understand how servere his condition is the last few wks hes had a few instances and my eldest daughter has been the centre of this even though hes not physically hurt her am afraid he could lose it and do her or my younger son physical and emotionally hurt them i dont want my kids to stop seeing the father but i am very daughter has cut herself through verbal abuse her father has said to her. couldhe get physical abusive ?
Asked On : Fri, 19 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  26
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Jun 2013
Hi there ~

I understand that your ex-partner has issues and needs medical and psychiatric attention. I hope you alert social services as soon as you can. I also think it would be safe to let SS know that he has the condition and have a court order restricting access to your kids (I am unsure as to what the child custody issues are, however if there is safety of life or abuse please do so as soon as possible). Try to talk to your ex to have him resolve his issues by visiting with a psychiatrist first. I hope this helps. Take care and have a lovely day!
Answered: Fri, 19 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Psychiatrist Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi's  Response
Dec 2014
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Bipolar illness is characterized by episodic mania or both mania and depression. If individual is in mania he may behave in unpredictable manner. His behavior may be cheerful and euphoric or may be irritable or violent. Some times these type of individuals may hit others or may harm others by abuse and it may be both physical and verbal. But physical abused is commonly seen in irritable mania only. If his symptoms are not under control I would advise you to place ask him to take proper treatment as it will help him in living proper life.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD
Answered: Fri, 19 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor